IBD In Pets
The Natural Approach
HAVE A QUESTION?
Do you have a question about IBD in pets? I’ve been an integrative veterinarian for over 30 years, and I would be honored to help you. For your free consultation, please contact me below.
IBD In Pets–The Natural Approach
Here’s What You Need To Know.
What IS IBD in pets?
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease, or IBD, is a common disease in both dogs and cats.
- IBD in pets usually begins as a dietary allergy– usually to the meat or grain in the diet.
- This allergy creates vomiting, diarrhea, pet farts, abdominal pain, and weight loss.
- As IBD in pets becomes chronic, it results in scarring of the stomach and intestinal wall.
- This scarring prevents normal nutrient absorption and can cause progressive weight loss.
- The chronic inflammation associated with IBD in pets can predispose them to cancer of the stomach or intestines.
How is IBD in Pets Diagnosed?
- Symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal gas, abdominal pain, and sometimes weight loss.
- Routine blood tests may be normal, or may show evidence of allergies/infection or low protein levels
- Your veterinarian should always check for intestinal parasites, including giardia
- Abdominal radiographs are usually unremarkable.
- Abdominal ultrasound, if done by an expert, may show thickening of the stomach or intestinal walls.
- A good blood test in these cases is called a “Malabsorption profile”, which checks the function of your pet’s pancreas and also looks for evidence of intestinal wall thickening by measuring the B vitamins in your pet’s blood.
- Blood allergy testing or dietary trials may be needed to determine what your pet is allergic to.
- Specific diagnosis may require either endoscopic or surgical biopsy of the affected intestine.
What is the Best Natural Treatment for IBD in Pets?
- The cornerstone of ALL treatments for IBD in pets is to find the right diet.
- CURCUMIN, like our TRANSCEND, is the single most effective natural supplement for IBD in pets. This has been proven in multiple studies
- Unflavored PROBIOTICS are a great way to reduce GI inflammation and to promote normal intestinal flora in your pet with IBD.
- FISH OIL to provide high doses of Omega 3 fatty acids has also been shown to be a great benefit in IBD
- CBD OIL, like our THRIVE, has been proven both to reduce allergic inflammation and to increase appetite in pets with IBD.
- Because IBD is caused by a hyperactive immune system and vaccines act by stimulating that immune system, you should weigh whether vaccines are the best choice for your pet.
What is the Best Diet for IBD in Pets?
- Simply put, the best diet for IBD in pets is one which your pet is not allergic to.
- In general, the allergens are either the meats or grain products within the diet.
- The first step is usually simply to look at the ingredients in your pet’s diet and find another retail food without those meats or grains
- Some dogs– but NOT cats– do very well on vegetarian or vegan diets.
- You can home cook for your pet with IBD, but if you do so long term it is best to have such diets balanced by a veterinary nutritionist.
- Prescription diets available from your vet include alligator, venison, and rabbit meats– foods which most dogs have never seen.
- Your vet may also recommend diets consisting of hydrolyzed protein, which IN THEORY cannot create dietary allergies.
What is the Medical Treatment for IBD in Pets?
- The primary treatment is ALWAYS to try and find a DIET which alleviates the symptoms
- Frequent small meals are better than large meals 1-2x a day.
- PROBIOTICS are ALWAYS a good choice, as long as they are not flavored with allergenic meats or grains.
- METRONIDAZOLE is an intestinal antibiotic which also can moderate the GI immune system and help treat diarrhea
- If your pet is vomiting, then human stomach ANTACIDS such as Prilosec, Omeprazole, or Zantac may be a benefit
- STEROIDS to reduce allergic response are sometimes required for effective treatment of IBD in pets, but may have long term side effects
- Every once in a while, we have to use more potent immune suppressants like CYCLOSPORINE… but these also carry some risks.
Here’s Why TRANSCEND Is 100% Guaranteed. Period.
-Transcend has the HIGHEST BIOAVAILABILITY of any curcumin anywhere. Scientifically proven.
-Advanced Curcumin and Boswellia, wrapped in a vegetarian capsule.
-Transcend fights cancer by…
–Promoting Apoptosis, or Tumor Cell Suicide
-Transcend fights inflammation through mediator blockade
-Significantly reduces Pain
-Significantly reduces Allergies
-Minimizes Inflammatory Bowel Disease
-Reduces liver inflammation and scarring
-Minimizes Alzheimer’s Disease
-Inhibits Diabetes and its complications.
-There are over 5000 scientific studies proving the benefits of curcumin in both humans and pets.